Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Trip to the Muslim Quarter

Yesterday I had the unique opportunity to go to the Muslim Quarter of the old city. I will share some highlights from my trip - I had a great time and learned a lot! 

our Israeli intern, Udi, showed us around the Muslim Quarter. Here we are infront of the Damascus gate, which leads to that part of the old city. One thing I learned was that language is a powerful political statment in the Muslim Quarter. We were very careful to speak in English.

After walking through the bustling marketplace, our first stop was a tahini factory:

                                                                                  
lots of varieties!   
                                                      
                                                                     the sesame seeds are ground by stone

On top of the roof of an Austrian Hotel

amazing view!
                     

Jade, Allie and I!


          


the view at sunset was amazing!






No comments:

Post a Comment